Deputy U.S. Trade Representative Michael Punke on Monday (Sept. 15) publicly announced for the first time that the United States since July has been willing to offer India a clarification on the length of a food security peace clause agreed to by World Trade Organization ministers last December in Bali, if India agrees to drop its opposition to implementation of the Trade Facilitation Agreement (TFA).
House Democratic leaders are ramping up their criticism of a nine-month extension of the Export-Import Bank's charter proposed by Republicans as part of a continuing resolution (CR) to fund the government through mid-December, but have stopped short of calling on their caucus to vote against the CR, which is slated to come to the House floor this week.
The U.S. ambassador to the European Union has made clear the administration plans to respond to demands from the European Commission for a tight national security exemption from the data privacy rules in the Safe Harbor framework with nothing more than an explanation of its current policy applicable to commercial transactions.
Treasury Secretary Jack Lew has pressed Chinese Vice Premier Wang Yang in a formal letter about China's enforcement of its anti-monopoly law (AML), according to informed sources, in a sign that mounting U.S. business complaints regarding the law have reached a high political level.
- Punke Says U.S. Willing To Offer India Assurances On Bali Peace Clause
- More Than Half Of Senate Dems Urge Commerce To Guard U.S. Industry Through AD, CVD Probe Of Chinese Tire Imports
- McCarthy Says Extending Ex-Im Until June Allows More Time For Focused Debate Separate From Terrorism Issue
- USDA Report Says Commerce's Preliminary Mexican Sugar CVD Not High Enough To Discourage Exports To U.S.
- EU Parliament To Hold Hearings Evaluating Juncker's Commission Nominees From Sept. 29 - Oct. 7
- McCarthy Schedules Action On CR For Mid-Week, Subject To Rules
- Froman Responds To Lawmakers' TPP Worries On IP, Labor, Environment, Japan, Other Issues
- In Response To Healthcare Advocates, Froman Says TPP Drug Pricing Annex Will Not Impact U.S. Health Programs
- In July Speech, Japan TPP Negotiator Says Diet Resolutions Demand Withdrawal If Ag Tariff Elimination Required
- De Gucht Defends EU's TTIP Promotion Campaign To Civil Society Leaders
- U.S. Targets Five Russian Energy Companies In Latest Round Of Sanctions
- EU Commission Rejects Civil Society Petition For 'European Citizens Initiative' Against TTIP, CETA
- Industry Groups Urge Congressional Leaders To 'Move Swiftly' On Long-Term Ex-Im Renewal
The trade agenda shifts gears this week toward U.S.-China trade relations and the deadlock at the World Trade Organization over the implementation of the Trade Facilitation Agreement (TFA). At the same time, the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) negotiations -- the Obama administration's key trade initiative -- will remain on the radar with a high-level delegation of Vietnamese officials visiting Washington.
issues in focus
Complete coverage of latest developments
Exclusive coverage of the latest developments
The World Trade Organization Dispute Settlement Body (DSB) is slated on Sept. 26 to formally select Shree Baboo Chekitan Servansing, the former ambassador of Mauritius . . .09/11/2014
Italian Agriculture Minister Maurizio Martina last week predicted that the European Union will reach a final agreement on a proposal that would allow European Union . . .09/10/2014
The leader of the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) told Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi this week that he is interested in trade . . .
SEOUL -- A senior South Korean trade official said his government is weighing the prospect of requesting entry into the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) after the negotiations are completed but before major parties like the United States have ratified the deal, in order to avoid a drawn-out TPP accession process.
If you are not a subscriber to World Trade Online, you can purchase individual articles and documents at our pay-per-view site...
World Trade Online's NewsStand